Healthy weight loss.
There is only one way to permanent, healthy weight-management and that is permanent life-style changes such as healthier nutritional choices, exercise, stress management and proper rest and sleep patterns. If there are underlying health or emotional issues which impact on weight management it should be addressed together with the life-style changes. Diets should not be seen as a remedy to fix weight-problems as dieting usually leads to even more weight-gain in the long run if the cause of the excess weight is not resolved.
The following are some ideas to help you become the healthy person you were meant to be.
- Focus on the short term. Small, successful steps lead to major change in the long run. Focus on changing the habits which led to your current weight situation, and change one habit at a time whether it is lack of activity, poor stress management, too litle sleep or too much junk food.
- Include lots of fresh vegetables and fruits in your daily intake. Frozen vegetables are convenient and suitable and save time and effort in a busy lifestyle. Replace refined carbohydrates with high fibre products and combine with legumes, fish, chicken and meat.Exchange high fat foods with fat free and omega 3 foods.
Reduce your fat intake:
- Sauté vegetables in water or vegetable broth.
- Steam vegetables.
- Use a cooking spray instead of poured oils and opt for healthier fats like olive oil, nuts and avocado.
At work, keep these healthy snacks on hand:
- Instant low salt soups
- Three-bean salad, lentil cury.
- Rice cakes
- Fresh or dried fruit and nuts (10gm)
- Bean dip with rice cakes or fat-free chips
- Find the right type of restaurant where you will be able to make healthy choices; then choose wisely.
- Keep a supply of healthy foods at home and at work to prevent unhealthy snacking.
- Make your environment temptation free by keeping unhealthy foods out of the house.
- Your taste-buds will gradually get used to the new way of eating, to enable you to make healthier choices.