Can you kick a ball blind folded? Of course not. You have to see your goal! People on a weight-loss program or diet usually know how much weight they want to lose but are often unclear about what it is that they want to achieve by losing the weight..
Researchers found that most people who lose and gain repeatedly, never had a clear goal of what it was that they wanted to be different once they have lost the weight.
A very clear vision of what you want is important. Your goal needs to be compelling and have to move you towards a desired outcome rather than away from an undesirable situation. (For example when you want to lose weight because you are feeling self conscious about how you look).
The following are steps that can move you towards your desired goal:
- Visualize: If you don't know where you are going, you can end up anywhere! Picture your desired outcome. What will be different and what will that mean to you? Use your imagination, be specific and include as much detail as possible.
- Share your dream: Who can help you to stay accountable? Gaining weight is the result of unhealthy lifestyle choices and habits. Persistent change will not always be easy. Tell someone who matters how much it will mean to you to be in control of your challenge and ask for support during difficult times.
- Commit your self: It won't happen without hard work. Trade your wishbone for a back bone. If you really want to see change, you have to be willing to do what it takes to make it happen.
- Count your successes: What are you doing right now that can bring you closer to your goal? Acknowledge every small achievement. These are the strengths to build future successes on.
- Plan your steps: What small steps can you add that you know will get you closer to your goal? How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time! Learn from your experiences and use what you have learned on your weight-loss journey.
If you don't know where you are going,
then how will you get there?
Make pictures in your mind.
See the destination.
Imagine your arrival.
Dream in perfect detail.
See yourself the way you want to be when you arrive.
See yourself arriving.
Make yourself a road map and study it every day
until you know the way and the destination by heart.
~ Bryce Courtenay ~